2017 Susan G. Komen LA County Race for the Cure

Standard

The 20th annual Susan G. Komen LA County Race for the Cure was held at Dodger Stadium on March 11, 2017 with thousands in attendance. The “Be More Than Pink” themed 5k and 10k race incorporated numerous activities such as a pep rally, musical performances, a Kids Zone, Whole Health Pavilion, Expo and Reflection Tent. Brian O’Neal & The Bus Boys performed on the main stage with an exclusive song called, “The Girls Are Back In Town” (a rendition of their mega hit, “The Boys Are Back In Town”).

TV personality Samantha Harris was honored as the Survivor of the Year. NFL quarterback Jared Goff of the Los Angeles Rams showed his support along with the LA Rams Cheerleaders. He took photo ops with survivors, supporters and families. When beast cancer survivors reached the finish line, Jared Goff handed them a pink long-stemmed rose for their courage. The color pink has great symbolism to Komen, it represents each person making the effort to fight against the most frequently diagnosed cancer.

Through events like the Race for the Cure, Komen LA County invests 75% of the funds raised to support critical local breast health services, and utilizes the remaining 25% to national research to find cures.

“We are proud to be advocating for the breast health needs of LA County families for two decades, but we have a long way to go before we end this disease entirely. Please join us and support this milestone event through participation and fundraising so we can continue to provide no-cost services to those most in need,” stated Mark Pilon, the executive director of Susan G. Komen LA County.

As the world’s largest breast cancer organization, Susan G. Komen has a goal to reduce the current number of breast cancer deaths in the U.S. by 50% by 2026. 40,000 women and men die each year in the U.S. from breast cancer. In 1982, Komen was founded by Susan G. Komen’s sister, Nancy G. Brinker, who made a promise to end the disease that took Suzy’s life. Komen Los Angeles County invested $10,535,590 in community breast health programs and continually contributes funds for research. To obtain more information visit http://komenlacounty.org.

Live vicariously through the race in 360° here: